Vermont Car Insurance and SR22

If you have been convicted of a DUI (Driving Under the Influence) offense in Vermont, you will need to file an SR22 for three years. The SR22 is a form that is filed with the state Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to confirm that the person named on the document has car insurance in place. The SR22 is issued by the car insurance company which agrees to provide coverage to the driver and in most cases, the insurer will file the form with the DMV for you.

Once a person has been told they need to file an SR22, they are considered a high risk driver for car insurance purposes. Your current car insurance company may not offer coverage to SR22 customers at all, or if it does, you will likely be looking at paying much higher rates for your coverage.

Whether you are dropped by your current insurance provider or not, once you find out you need an SR22 you should be shopping around to compare rates. Simply because you are higher risk, it doesn’t mean that you should be paying more than you have to for your Vermont car insurance coverage. Prices do vary from different insurance providers, and you can save money by considering your options.

Some insurance companies specialize in the higher risk market, and you may be able to find the best deal on coverage from one of them. Make sure you request quotes from a few different providers before making a buying decision.