Types of Kansas Auto Insurance Coverage

Drivers in Kansas are required to have liability, Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage in place to drive legally in the state. Liability insurance coverage pays for damages that you cause and covers the cost of medical bills, lost wages and rehabilitation expenses of accident victims. This portion of your policy applies to the occupants of the other vehicle in an accident.

Liability insurance coverage also pays for property damage caused in an accident. It pays for the cost of repairing the other driver’s vehicle, as well as repairs to a sign post, fence or mailbox.

Kansas is a no-fault state for car insurance purposes, and the PIP portion of the policy is what pays for your medical bills, lost wages and other expenses following an accident. Rather than looking to the at-fault driver’s car insurance company to pay these costs, your own car insurance company will pay for these expenses, up to the policy limits.

Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is another type of coverage that is mandatory for Kansas drivers to have in place. Uninsured motorist coverage protects you by paying out if the at-fault driver in an accident either doesn’t have coverage or cannot be located because the accident was a hit and run.

Underinsured motorist coverage provides additional protection to you when the at-fault driver does not have enough coverage to fully pay for the damages caused. The other driver’s coverage will pay out first and then your underinsured motorist coverage will kick in to make up the difference, up to the policy limit you have in place.