Oklahoma Auto Insurance Optional Coverage

When you are looking for Oklahoma auto insurance, you are required to buy at least $25,000 in bodily injury protection to pay for damages sustained by one person in an accident where you are the at-fault driver and $50,000 for the damages suffered by all victims of the same accident. Property damage coverage of at least $25,000 must be put in place to pay repairs to the other driver’s vehicle, as well as any public property damaged in the accident. If the collision damaged a mailbox, sign post, guard rail or light stand, it would be covered under this part of the policy.

There are other types of coverage available that are not mandatory that you may wish to consider. Collision and comprehensive coverage protect your vehicle from loss. The collision portion of your policy pays out when your car is damaged or totaled as the result of striking another object. Comprehensive coverage pays for other types of losses, including wind, hail, flooding, fire, vandalism or theft.

Oklahoma auto insurance customers are not required to have uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage in place. Uninsured motorist insured provides protection from damages caused by a driver who does not have coverage or in a hit and run where the driver’s identity is not known. Underinsured motorist coverage is used to top up an at-fault driver’s coverage when it’s not enough to fully compensate you for your injuries. The other driver’s coverage is used first and then your underinsured motorist protection kicks in to make up the difference, up to the policy limit you have chosen.