General Auto Insurance

Can I Receive Payment for Medical Expenses Directly from My Insurance Company

If you have been involved in an accident and are making a claim for medical expenses, the usual practice is for an insurance company to pay the doctor or hospital directly. In a situation where your medical insurance plan has paid for these expenses, either your car insurance provider or the at-fault driver’s insurance company will reimburse the medical insurance provider. You will not be able to recover the amount paid for your medical bills personally if they have been paid under an insurance policy. ‘

If you have paid the medical bills personally, you can ask for reimbursement for these amounts. You will need to submit the bills and proof that you have paid for them to the insurance company for reimbursement.

The issue of which insurance company is responsible for paying out on a claim can be complicated. If you live in a no-fault state and are injured in a car accident, you would make your claim for medical expenses to your own insurance provider. That company will pay out for your “reasonable and necessary” medical expenses stemming from the accident.

When you are making a claim on your personal health insurance plan for medical expenses, you will probably be asked if any of the medical services were obtained as the result of an accident. The medical insurance provider will then look to another car insurance company for reimbursement for these expenses.

The medical insurance provider will submit its’ own claim to either your own or the at-fault driver’s car insurance company. All of these transactions are conducted behind the scenes and the insurance companies will determine whether a subrogated claim must be paid.

Subrogated Car Insurance Claims

When your own insurance company pays out on a claim which another provider should be responsible for covering, that insurance provider has a subrogated claim. If you are injured in a car accident, you do have the right to have your medical expenses paid for by the at-fault driver and his or her insurance provider but the doctor or hospital may not agree to wait to receive payment for services provided.

A subrogated claim may also come into play if you have been involved in a collision or other event causing physical damage to your car when you were not the at-fault driver. Normally, you would make your claim for the cost to repair your vehicle to the other driver’s insurance provider. It can take some time to get the other company to agree to pay for these repairs and if you want to get your car on the road more quickly, you may want to make your claim for damages to your own car insurance company.

In this case, your insurance provider will pay out on your claim so that you can have your car back sooner. Your car insurance company will then approach the other driver’s insurance company to recover the money it has paid out to you.

If you have questions or concerns about where you should be submitting a claim for damages following a car accident, contact your insurance provider for assistance.

Similar Posts